Placement requirements and eligibility
In order to do a Hospitality & Tourism internship or traineeship in the US, there are some requirements. Firstly, it is necessary to have successfully completed at least one semester in a post-secondary institution. Secondly, you must still be enrolled at the post-secondary institution and be pursuing the degree in a manner which suggests you intend to continue with the degree until its conclusion. Then, you must be also able to prove that you have enough funds to cover the entire duration of your internship or traineeship in the USA. The minimum amount necessary has been set to $1000 per month by the US government. If however, the position which you have secured contains remuneration in the form of a wage or salary, this will then be deducted from the minimum requirement needed. And finally, it is necessary to have a fluent level of English. Candidates who intend to complete an internship or traineeship in the USA must be able to successfully interact in an English-speaking environment.
Internship vs traineeship
Foreigners enrolled in academic studies or who have graduated from an overseas institution no more than 12 months prior to the start date of their exchange visitor program can participate in an internship program.
This program lasts for a maximum of 12 months + 30 days of the grace period that you can use to travel around the country (optional).
Foreigners who have at least 1-year of experience in the field they wish to become a trainee can enrol in the traineeship program.
This program lasts for a maximum of 18 months + 30 days Grace Period that you can use to travel around the country (optional).
Hospitality & Tourism Fields for Internships and Traineeships
For your internship in the US, you have to choose a field in which you are currently studying. And, in the case of a traineeship, you have to choose a field in which you have significant experience.
We have Hospitality & Tourism positions in the following fields:
- Front office
- Back office
- Food and Beverage
Click here to find a list of our current Hospitality & Tourism vacancies.
Hospitality & Tourism Internships / Traineeships Duration
A Hospitality & Tourism internship or traineeship in the US – like other internships and traineeships in the US – must last at least 3 months. However, it is very difficult to find an internship for such a short period of time, as most employers wish to have interned for at least 6 months.
In addition, to carry out an internship in the US, you will be required to possess a J1 visa. This visa has a maximum duration of 12 months in the case of an internship, and of 18 months for a traineeship (except for the hospitality sector for which it is 12 months).
Then, it would be possible to extend your stay in the USA to the maximum duration of the program. If the extension is accepted, you will receive a new DS-2019 form which will show the extension. However, we recommend that you decide on the optimum amount of time beforehand. Extending your duration will include extra costs, as you will have to complete a new DS-2019 form.
If you are looking for more information on how to extend your J1 visa click here.
The majority of the business placements in the USA are paid. The amount will vary depending on :
- the field,
- the duration of your experience in the company,
- your own work experience,
- and the company itself.
However, at Internships USA, we guarantee a range of 1300-2500$ for a full-time position for Hospitality and tourism placements that last more than 6 months.
Some companies may also offer other benefits such as accommodation, food or transportation. Therefore it is best to properly discuss this topic with the company beforehand.
Services and costs
We have a great understanding of the US market, therefore we can usually arrange a placement in the USA in a range of 8 – 14 weeks. With our service, you define the field and locations that you prefer, and we take care of the rest!
Internships USA will provide you assistance in obtaining the DS-2019 form and developing the Internship or Training Plan (DS-7002 form), required for a J1 visa. Therefore, sponsorship is included in the program.
You have to book your accommodation yourself but, no worries, we will guide you. We will help you and advise you, including suggesting affordable housing options. Costs depend on areas/cities, so it will be discussed before your application.
Health travel insurance: It is required by the American government to have health travel insurance that will cover all your medical treatments in the USA. Regular insurances do not work as they have cost limits and expenses are really high for medical treatments in the US.
Liability insurance: Liability insurance is included in our program, so, any damage you could do to your host company will be covered.
The process to apply for a Hospitality & Tourism placement in the US
- To apply for an internship or traineeship in the USA, you will first have to register via our apply page
- Then, when your application is successfully processed, someone from our team will contact you to set up a meeting.
- After that, we will put you in contact with our program partner who will conduct a program admittance interview to check once more your requirements and your English level.
- Deposits – To confirm your registration, you need to sign the service agreement contract and pay a deposit of 300€.
- Upon successful completion of the admittance interview, we will propose you an internship or traineeship based on your resume and personal preferences. And you will have interviews with companies.
- Internship proposal – you will receive a written offer letter with conditions and offer.
- After the Internship has been accepted, we will invoice you the final payment (program + insurance).
- Finally, you will have to apply for a J1 Visa. Internships USA will continue to support you should any problems or queries arise, but you are required to apply for the J1 Visa yourself.
- After applying for the J1 Visa, you must attend an interview at the American embassy or American consulate.
- Here you go! You are now ready to go to the US! Upon arrival in the USA, you will be required to attend an orientation with our agency partner to receive more information.
Prices of our programs in the USA
For the internship or traineeship placement + DS-2019 Form (the major part of the J1 visa application) :
-Registration fee: 300€
– from 2-5 months: 3300€; or from 5-8 months: 3550€; or from 8 to 12 months: 3800€
Insurance and registration fees are included in the program fees: